Saturday, December 11, 2010

Isaiah 6

Sometimes, God whispers our name to the wind, and sometimes he hits us upside the head with a weighted clue.

Isaiah ended up on the "more obvious" end of the scale.

I think Isaiah 6 has the most neglected call and response between God and Man. It's read at ordinations, but why just then or when it comes around on the guitar of the lectionary?

I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lofty: and the hem of his robe filled the temple...Then the Lord said, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" and I said, "Here I am, send me."

Vocation is a funny thing. What is God calling us to do? Is it to be more involved in someone's life? Make friends with a homeless person? Work in a hospital? Change jobs, change careers, change our lives? He's sending us all somewhere (often somewhere uncomfortable, somewhere that pushes us past our boundaries). And when we became Christian, we answered this very call - maybe not those words, but similar ones. By saying "I am a Christian," we acknowledge that God called us and sent us forth again, to be representatives of Christ in the world.

Isaiah had a dream, with God and thrones and angels and coals to burn away the sin. I had a quiet church, being stripped of its bones. And what about you? What does it take for you to hear the call? Does it have to involve fire and trumpets and a personal appearance? Or will you hear what He is asking of you when he whispers it in your ear?

No comments:

Post a Comment